Crypto financial services company, BlockFi, has issued its latest Real Talk quarterly survey. This survey series is intended to understand mainstream consumer sentiment of topics involving the crypto and blockchain ecosystem.
The current survey is titled, Happy HODLdays, a play on the crypto term “HODL” or “Hold On for Dear Life” and is focused on the upcoming holiday season. Here are some of the key findings from the survey in the graphic below, which include a fact that of the questionnaire respondents, 1-in-10 said they plan to give the gift of cryptocurrencies this year. And the top-3 crypto gifts in order are:
The findings also include the following interesting factoids:
- 1-in-3 Americans are more interested in talking about crypto rather than politics around the holiday dinner table this year.
- Men are more interested in talking about blockchain, NFTs, and crypto while women prefer to focus only on crypto.
- Only 3% plan to use crypto proceeds to pay for presents this year, 64% will use cash, and 60% will use credit cards – the answers total more than 100% because multiple answers were encouraged.
Another survey graphic shows that many want to use the New Year as a new opportunity to invest in digital assets.
The research was conducted by a third-party survey panel between October 19 and October 26, 2021. It included 1,262 male and female U.S. citizens between the ages of 18 and 65. For this survey, generational breakdowns are as follows: Gen Z (born 1997 – 2012); Millennial (born 1981-1996); Gen X (born 1965-1980); and Baby Boomer (1946-1964).
On The Flipside
- This crypto spending survey was sponsored by crypto financial services company BlockFi.
- In May, BlockFI suffered a “black eye” when it accidentally sent millions of dollars worth of crypto assets to user accounts, then demanded it back – very few complied.
- It also received cease-and-desist letters from state lawmakers in Alabama, New Jersey, and Texas regarding its trading and lending services. I’m sure BlockFi can’t wait for 2021 to be over.
Why You Should Care?
Don’t be afraid to talk-up crypto with your friends and family members this holiday season. The macro technicals are still bullish and the underlying fundamentals for crypto are still strong.